One of my favorite dishes is the garlic creamed spinach from Joe’s Stone Crab in Miami. So, I decided to recreate it… Here’s the recipe:
Creamed Garlic Spinach (serves 4):
- 20 oz. fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic (I prefer whole cloves, but minced is what the recipe calls for)
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Wash spinach and put in pot w/ a little salted water.
- Cook spinach for about 2 minutes.
- Strain spinach and put back in pot.
- Melt butter in a medium sauté pan.
- Add garlic and cook until soft (about 1 minute).
- Add flour and whisk under medium heat.
- Whisk until mixture is smooth and add to spinach pot.
- Gradually add heavy cream and mix into spinach.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper.